After a lot of development time and several months in beta phase, listening and implementing the suggestions of the ADW community, we think we have a good product and it’s time to launch it and start iterating, improving what you want to have improved and adding what you want to be added.
We know that many of you may not feel comfortable at first with the innumerable changes in features and interface, but we think they are necessary to have a modern launcher with the latest news from the latest Android versions and Design guidelines. We truly hope you like it 😉
And remember ¡¡¡For a limited time, to celebrate the new year and the public release of ADW Launcher 2, you can unlock the premium features 45% off!!!
Here you have a list of the most important features:
- Support for Android 7.1 launcher shortcuts (limited support on older versions down to 5.x)
- Options to customize shortcut indicator
- Set differents icon scale to overall, desktop, dock.
- New way to manage screens. Hold down an empty area of the desktop.
- New way to add widgets and shortcuts.
- New way to change the wallpaper, lock/unlock the desktop or access settings. Hold down an empty area of the desktop and choose the option.
- Added new icons effects section. You can choose image filters and compositions. Awesome!!!
- Dynamic UI coloring using wallpaper colors.
- Added fast scroll app drawer style.
- Added indexed fast scroll app drawer style.
- Added some desktop transitions.
- Added new section to configure icon badges.
- Added a visual mode to configure desktop, icon appearance, folder appearance, and app drawer options.
- Added option to change the top panel/widget.
- Added option to change the content type of bottom panel (dock/widget).
- Added new wrap folder mode to folders. This mode lets you launch the first app in the folder on tap, and show the folder contents on swipe up.
- Added new fast application search in app drawer.
- Improved app categories in app drawer.
- Improved way to manage user gestures.
- Improved way to apply internal and external themes.
- Improved context menu for all desktop objects. When you drop an object on the desktop, tap on the edit icon for show the context menu.
- Added new Custom Widget object. You can add new custom widgets from widget list, import them from friends and other developers, create, edit and share your own.
- Added some initial extensions for the custom widgets (time/battery)
- Check out ADWExtensions pack for more extensions (weather, gmail, etc).
- Added template manager. Remove, add and share templates easily.
- Improved icon properties dialog.
- Improved folder properties dialog.
- Added backup manager in advanced settings/system. Now you can import data from Action Launcher 3, Nova Launcher, Google Now Launcher, Apex Launcher, etc..
- Added the possibility to set a secondary action to desktop shortcuts. Swipe up over the desktop shortcut to execute the secondary action.
- Probably 2 or 200 things I’m forgetting…
- A bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff inside!
You may think the original and best launcher of all time has not been updated, because people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like we released this update 3 years ago and you didn’t realize. Don’t worry, we understand not everyone has…1.21 gigawatts!! to spend. Continue reading
Well, the re-release was fun but now let’s get back to work. Time to work on some new features and bug fixes.
The latest version 18.104.22.168, has new features that, hopefully, add more usability rather than headaches!
The most notable changes from the previous version are:
The option to choose a light or dark theme for ADW’s components.
A new way to choose Drawer and Desktop transitions.
A pin to unlock the Desktop and optionally a pin to secure apps from Launching.
Additional folder preview styles and a new Category management system.
And much more. See the changelog for the complete changes!
There are also some changes under the hood in the way themes are handled.
If you are a theme maker, head over to the ADW Theme Guide to see these changes.
[quote]A new update generally means more features a.k.a. “bugs” :P[/quote]
And now for some screenshots that show case the new additions:
Finally, thank you for the feedback and logs, keep them coming so we can squash all the bugs, add new features or simply let us know how we are doing.
Also make sure to check out the Tutorials section to see a step by step guide on the new features introduced in ADW 22.214.171.124!
Latest Changes 126.96.36.199:
- New App Groups manager to add/remove/rename/reorder Application Groups
- New option to change the overall style (Light/Dark).
- More visual list of transition effects/Drawer styles.
- New way to configure a custom list for random desktop transitions.
- 4 different icon backgrounds when folder previews are enabled.
- 2 New orientation settings (portrait sensor/landscape sensor).
- New ADWSettings layout for 7″ devices (Android 3.x+)
- New Security settings to password-protect desktop/apps.
- The ADW Config dialog can be assigned to gestures.
- New LauncherActions to scroll through the screens (next/previous).
- Changed LauncherActions, shortcuts and apps selection screens.
- New themable elements.
- Fixed wallpaper glitch when rotating the decive on some android versions.
- Fixed direct dial icons not working on some *Samsung* devices…
- Fixed some themes issues on android 4.1+
- Some more reported errors fixed.
It’s been a really long time without updates for ADW.Launcher, really really long time.
ADWLauncher Ex was updated “more recently“, but from now on things are gonna be different.
Since ADW/Ex 188.8.131.52, both applications share a common core, making them easier to maintain and improve. Expect much more from this, really.
Maybe some of you wonder why the free ADW.Launcher version went from 1.3.6 to 184.108.40.206. It seems a downgrade, but it isn’t. As I’ve reworked both application’s core from the ADW Ex codebase, I decided to stick with ADWEx version codes. That’s all.
This is the “complete” changelog, but there’s much more under the hood.
- Revamped engine to merge ADW/ADWEx functionalities.
- Settings to modify icon sizes
- Settings to modify text colors, shadows, etc
- New visual configuration helper
- New ADWSetup screen for an easier way to add items and access tweaking functionality
- Improved android compatibility from 1.6 to 4.1!
- New visual AppWidget picker (android 4.1+ only)
- New theme engine with improved support for most popular launcher themes
- New ADWSettings layout
- New animations when moving desktop items
- Fling desktop items to send them to the trash
- New optional ActionBar for most common actions
- New desktop transitions
- New desktop indicators
- New way to hide apps from your app drawer
- New app drawer tabs to manage unlimited application groups
- New app drawer visual styles
- New app drawer open/close animations
- New gestures settings to perform common actions
- New easy way to manage folders
- New different folder visual styles
- New folder previews styles
- Manually reorder folder contents by drag-and-drop
- Double tap desktop icons to bring up editing menu
- Double tap desktop icons to bring up editing menu
- Long press desktop Widgets to bring up editing menu
- New easy way to adjust screen sizes/margins
- New backup/restore system